Saturday, June 18, 2011

Nations to 'give back territory'

 I just saw this statement on a twitter:

'President Obama wants Israel to return to its 1967 boundaries...isn't that like asking the U.S. to give Texas back to Mexico?'

Map Ref: Click Here

Interesting for me as I just saw in BBC News yesterday that President Obama is pushing for the UK to hold talks with Argentina RE : UK to return sovereignty of the Falklands Islands (Malvinas Islands) to Argentina, to read more  Click Here


Port Stanley - Falkland Islands

In the BBC News report above, I also read this in the comments:

I don't see the USA that keen to hand back Guam to Spain, or any other historical outpost.....do you ?

Humm- similar to the thoughts on Texas above regarding the Israel debate.

I am from the UK and my husband is from Argentina: Some interesting dinner time discussions - coming up :) What is it with the American Nation, that it seems to be ok to demand that other countries give up territory, yet I feel quite sure President Obama would not be told by another nation about which territory America should give up.

I'm not saying the Falklands should remain British. However, if the greater population living there want to remain British, is it not the Islanders choice and right to be governed by the country they vote for, and not the government of the USA or any other nation to decide?

Interesting days ahead I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment