Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Goodbye Grete Waitz - !

Yesterday the world of athletics said 'goodbye to a legend'! Today my running coach text me from the UK to tell me that Grete Waitz had died. She was to me a phenomenal athlete and really opened up the way for female endurance athletes. In my early days I used to have her picture that my coach took of her at a race, framed on my sideboard. I still have it framed up! Often my coach would call me 'Grete' when I would get frustrated about my training, to reinvigorate my enthusiasm to pursue my dream of running in the World Cross Country Championships for Britain. She was such an inspiration to run the race I was then chasing!

It is amazing that she died yesterday on 19th April 2011. Two days after of the Annual London City Marathon, a race she twice won, and also set her marathon personal best (PB) there - 2hours :24mins:54 sec- London - 20th April 1986. To read more of here achievements CLICK HERE

As my coach said ; What a beautiful Lady





 

No comments:

Post a Comment